Wednesday 12 January 2011

Money money money

A long-awaited day has come. My Japanese pension refund notification arrived today. Soon they should be paying the money into my account. Only took four or five months.

It's an awful lot of money (well, in relative terms). The problem I have is that I can't really do anything with it. I'm all about prudent investment, when I'm not busy buying computer games and faster computers to run them on. This amount, though allowing me to splurge if I so desired, isn't enough to do anything really cool. I can't buy a house with it. If I had a job I suppose it would be enough to pay a deposit on a cheap flat and get a mortgage, but I don't have a real job. A car might be fun, but I'm still learning how to drive and cars are the worst investments ever because they depreciate faster than anything. Also, the tax and insurance would drain me down to nothing in short order.

I've pondered the idea of just taking the money and using it to move into a flat and live off for ten months or whatever, and in that time become rich and successful. Could happen.

In the meantime, I'm dancing with Liza.

2 comments:

Anji said...

Oh how hard it is to be rich - but what happens if you've spent it and than decide to retire in Japan

Rosemary said...

Good question, Anji! If you can invest it as your eventual retirement, no matter where that would be, wouldn't that be the best use for it? Maybe spend just a little on something you've always wanted, but invest the rest?

I follow you on ExposeYourBlog.