Wednesday 16 June 2010

Speaking Test

Today was my first round of speaking tests for the first years at Kagikou. It's all a bit of a farce, especially compared to the kind of speaking tests I had to do when I was at school - knowing the the test was on a particular topic, but not knowing exactly what would be asked and largely having to prepared by ourselves. We tell the students more or less exactly what they'll be asked, and help them prepare answers accordingly.

In the past, some of these tests have sounded like interrogations from my point of view. "Where did you go last weekend?" "What did you do there???" "What did you have for breakfast THIS MORNING!?!" etc. This time, it was more like I was the quizmaster on Mastermind and just waiting for them to give their answers so I could leap to the next part.

It's possible I misheard him, but I'm pretty sure one of the students told me he had a heart of glass, as part of the opening section where they have to say their name and two things about themselves. I didn't really know how to respond to that.

No comments: